PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 08:27
kinnie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my experiences at Gatwick.
i went for my class 1 initial on Thursday, i suspected a problem of hyperphoria. i had already seen 2 opthamologists who had given me a prescription of 2 dioptres and 3 dioptres at close. i therefore suspected that i may not pass and aksed Gatwick if i should come, to which they said yes.
so off i went, saw the opthamologist and failed! i was extremely diappointed and more so due to the nature of the eye examination. at no time did the opthamolgist use any sophisticated equipment to measure this (like the two other opthamolgists i had seen did). He simply held a ruler next to my eye and waved a stick in front of me. he then used a piece of equipment that looked like it had been made when the Wright brothers were about. granted that this was quite a valid test though. However, upon failing me i really was diappointed with the explanation i was given. in the CAA guidance it states that anyone over the limitations for hyperphoria can pass as long as 'the fusional reserves are sufficient to prevent diplopia.' when i asked about a measurement of the fusional reserves i was not satisified with the answer and was told that it wasn't something that they measure. i really got the impression that it was just gut instinct, or how he felt on the day. Surely there should be some measurement to which they should be guided as to pass or fail.
At no point did i get the impression that the opthamolgist was any bit interested in helping me to pass. (perhaps i am a little more bitter because i didn't pass)! i was also told at the end when i queried the measurement that he gave for the hyperphoria that his measurement would be the most accurate out of all the opthamolgists that i had seen. i have to say i was not convinced, due to the nature of the test that he did ie measuring my eye with a ruler and waving a stick in front of me! i really didn;t get the impression that the opthamolgist was interested in whether i passed or failed. i was disappointed with this attitude as so many people have said on here that they really get the impression that the guys there want you to pass!
back to the drawing board now! it really is very difficult to get over the failure of the medical when it is all that you set your heart upon.