PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair MD-80 Incident At LPL
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2001, 14:56
squibbler

Smile

160to4DME

Scenario: RW 09 in use at EGGP, wind 070/3 kts. ABC 123 calls for push & start for EGNS (WAL 2V) and requests 27 (WAL 2T). No inbounds due for 30 minutes, Tower calls Radar "09 for the ABC 123?" , Radar says "Fine with me", Tower approves 27 for the ABC 123 and clears for push & start. Tower rings MACC West with est. a/b time and the SID, highlighting that this departure will be off 27. MACC say ok and issue squawk.
In my experience they have never come back and said "that will cause problems he'll have to go off 09". Feel free to knock us back if it's gonna mess u about, we can take it, the ABC 123 will just have to lump it!!

Not guilty squire, I was on yesterday afternoon!!

You do have a point regarding the inbound EZY from EGAA, that just seems like poor deciscion making, maybe there was some training in progress...........( always a good excuse!).

Regarding inbounds in general, it's very rare for an ATCO to offer the opposite end, we like a simple life. The inbound will almost always ask for the other end on box 2 well in advance. The usual response is "We'll see, subject to traffic, let u know via Manch".

Ultimately it's down to the skill and judgement of the radar and tower persons on duty as to whether or not it's feasible. Sometimes, as you described, it all goes tits up and we all look stupid.

Personally, I only do opposite end approaches if I know that it will all work ok and nobody will be mucked about as a result, and those cases are few and far between. As far as I'm concerned the runway in use IS the runway in use and base my ATC craft around that.

Some ATCO's however are at times trying to be too flexible and you end up with the scenario you descibed above, but that's certainly not specific to EGGP ATC. Trust me, I have worked at other units...........!!!!

Answer to your question: The radar man has the tower frequency selected on low volume so he should be aware of an impending departure be it when he calls for start or taxi. It is not procedure at the moment for the tower to call radar with notification of an outbound starting, although perhaps it should be. Sometimes you are only aware of the outbound when tower call for a release. It's not ideal but were working towards fine tuning our procedures........hopefully to the point where cheer up can cheer up!!

Ta

------------------
No, you can't have 09!