PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intercepting Wandering Bears & Blackjacks Again (Merged)
Old 21st Jul 2007, 21:06
RumourMonger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do not worry Fleet Street has been at it again this time they do not between to differentate between HMS Ocean and an Invincible Class Aircraft carrier. AS per the Telegraph`s report that there is a rummour that the Government might actually be going to place an order for the QE II class CVF`s http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...cnships119.xml

Why do newspapers get imagery and captions wrong probally a number of reasons. My work involves writing for a number of journals nearly all sush work is commissioned as opposed to Newspapers, where their Editors basically do not want to pay for material unless they have to. Stories like the intercept will be written from a desk in the newspapers office, I have had times when I swear stories I have offerred have been re-written by "Staff Reporter" another is the organisations like the BBC they do not want to pay they have a rights grab for on line material check out the small print on their on line submission pages use for free for ever and a day. You would have to live on the esteem of having you picture appear all over the world. B****** I have a mortgage to pay. So it has got to the stage where it is not worth the effort of trying to submitt material to major newspapers or the likes of the BBC

But one of major gripes is the MoD and the Government News Network. It is so difficult to get hold of high res newspictures directly form the MoD. I have been trying for 6 mnths to get a password for the Defence Image Library because the resoloution of images that the post on the web site is so low they are virtually unsable.

Why does the MoD not take a leaf out of the Australian and US Defence Departments and make the high res images available.
Cockpit imagery could be made available as at the time of the Apahce rescue. But again unrestricted access was not available unless using the relativley small files available from the MoD web site/(Although I wounder who did the risk assesments and method statements for flying on the stub wings.) Surley there would have been some imagery available from the intercepts, so why did not the MoD make that available?

But there might be something in that the MoD and PR companies for all the large aerospace manufacturers are trying to stage manage the Media. So I suppose you should not be to hard on the confused journos who would probally ring the Met Office to ask if it was either a Tornado or a Typhoon of the coast of Norway