PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2007, 15:46
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peanuts?

My present job pays a pretty good wage by European standards, especially when you factor in the free food (quite good food, by the way, way better than in Nigeria) and accommodation when at work, plus no tax.

On the other hand I live in a large box at a small camp in the middle of the Sahara, guarded by guys carrying shotguns (when the bad guys carry AK-47s, I assume). If there's a serious medical emergency, why, that is me to the rescue! So I guess I had better not sit on any scorpions, say.

Entertainment of an evening is watching chubby Italian bints on satellite TV, gyrating with their bra in one hand and a telephone in the other trying to look sexy (when they just look constipated) waiting for some sucker to call on a pay-per-minute line for a real intimate conversation. I might be bored, but not THAT bored!

My wife gave me a real rocket for talking loosely to the neighbours about the lousy pay, telling me it was about double what people here in the village earn. It turns out that a normal guy here is happy to pull down something like 2,500 euros per month before tax. Of course, last time I checked, Al Q'aida is not operating here and it has been a while since time someone was bitten by a scorpion.

So whatever I am going to be paid to go back to Nigeria, well it certainly isn't peanuts.

I have heard rumours about some people being paid $4,500 USD per month, but can that be true?