PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Neighbours war with wounded soldiers families
Old 21st Jul 2007, 10:36
Chugalug2

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts
Good neighbours

MadsDad, your wish to get at some of these smug, comfortable, self centred members of the bourgeoisie is understandable, and in many ways I share your sentiments. Unlike you and I, though, SSAFA have got to co-exist with its neighbours long after we have passed onto other matters. As Tigs2 has enjoined us, concentrate on the matter in hand, support this application with a massive show of moral support from those serving, who have served, or who have never served but know what is right and what is wrong. The latter does not include the Planning Department of Mole Valley DC it would seem if minded to oppose SSAFA's application.

weevehearditb4, I agree,the support from the service associations has been deafening in its silence. You would have thought that they would be mindful of supporting their sister association, but it seems to be a case of "you in your small corner and me in mine"! The same thing struck me regarding the campaign to admit Mr Pun VC to the UK, and his righteous pleas for equal pensions for equal service, as well as right of UK abode for ex service Gurkhas. Not a word of support from the RBL to my knowledge.
I strongly suspect that the power of the Internet, instantly reflecting the outrage felt by "veterans" of all ranks and branches, those serving also of all ranks and branches, and civilians who can see past their navels and the telly, is rapidly superseding the safe boring monthly reading of association minutes at the Dog and Duck before turning to the general knowledge quiz! The armed forces are at war, SSAFA seems to know it, I'm not sure if the other service associations have geared themselves up to that fact. If they don't they will end up as much relics as the other contents of our military museums!