PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infringements of the Heathrow CTR
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2007, 07:41
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roffa
The London Zone is no different than all the other CAS in the UK, why pick on it?
Because its the subject of the thread.

If you want to bring the States into it, take a closer look at that chart you cited of a far busier area than London. There are published VFR routes across the surface area, one of which doesn't even need a call to Tower. The area to the east is also rather small. You also get good radar service from SOCAL, always helps keep the controllers in the loop.

Gonzo, I think there is an argument that CAS might be made a little larger than neccessary in order to make the edges more easily to visualise using surface features. I could cite the PHX surface area, which is busier than LHR and isn't far off the size of LHR, but which I could describe to you by surface feature in the way requested in my request to Roffa. I really don't think that was a difficult concept.

What size surface area is neccessary is a matter for argument, and I don't think LHR controllers have a monopoly in that discussion. Remember, it's not how big it is, it's what you do with it

Anyway, it's been done before, and a very helpful LHR controller who quickly demonstrated empathy with the VFR pilot explained it very well last time.

I'm off on hols

Last edited by slim_slag; 21st Jul 2007 at 08:08.