PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Flying schools and Jobs in Nam/Bots
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2007, 20:58
KeithO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Pecos Bill,

Oerlikon is not quite right. You DON'T need permanent resident status to work in RSA, but you do need a work permit, and they're not easy to come by (I know as I'm a Brit living in Joburg). PR is almost impossible to get these days anyway, and you can't even apply until you've been living there for 5 years (either living on air (?!), or working under a work permit).

Also be careful about the convertability of a non-JAR CPL - under JAR-FCL 3 you can validate a PPL but not a CPL - I've just finished researching that issue about five-mins ago, so I think that info is correct (but I'd love to be wrong, and then I can save myself a load a money!)

I've lived in Joburg since 1998, but am now relocating back to the UK. To be frank the crime IS out of control (I've had two gunfights in my house, which is in a upmarket, security-patrolled area), and infrastructure is starting to trip-up; daily (and all-day long) powercuts are not uncommon in all the major cities.

All that said I've loved living & flying there, it's a beautiful country, and the people (of ALL colours & races) are great, so at least go for a look-see (but be careful!)

(Check out the facts for Kenya - might be another option)

Good luck!

Last edited by KeithO; 20th Jul 2007 at 22:24.