PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2007, 17:02
theamrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the event of a slippery runway, determining the cause for the lack of braking may well be very difficult in the heat of the moment, no?
ABSOLUTELY! And if we imagine that coupled with hydroplaning!!!!

If autobrakes are selected it may take a little longer in establishing a complete braking failure, particularly since the warning is inhibited in the LDG,T/O phase.
Ok – so the logic of inhibited warnings for landing and T/O is pretty well thought out – but could this particular case be deserving of reconsideration – esp for approach to a short field? – Any warning relating to impaired braking performance kind of ceases to be an unwanted distraction when landing with premium brake performance being an absolute requirement?

Raggyman - someone-else asked about tyres a while back - bit more info/links if you want - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=283517

broadreach - just my 2 cents on the flash thing - given where we think it was, and to me the flash appears to be above the wing and to the height of the fuselage - i can only explain it with gear or other structure damage from hitting the wall, puncturing the wing and ignition of some fuel spray.