PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange Habits of Your Captains
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2007, 16:56
TopBunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a quick look at Rainboe's signature, and his final !.

What he is saying (if I interpret correctly between the lines), is, be ever alert to the operation, be prepared to speak up unequivocabley whenever and every time when you are outside your comfort zone - and sooner rather than later, so that you can reassured and/or your views properly assessed at a more leisurely time rather than late in the approach, when other factors kick in.

As a low-hours pilot, your views will be welcomed, but sometimes you will find them discounted - expect this. Unless you think you are about to die, the best time to discuss your concerns sometimes is on the ground after the flight over a beer [but not before the next flight in 30 minutes]. In this environment the matters can be discussed leisurely with nothing else going on and the discussion will be more fruitful.

Everyone can get a 'reputation', some good, some bad. For an FO the 'crying wolf' reputation is not a good one to have, 'cos sometimes then legitimate and valid concerns will be automatically disregarded. This is why I say speak up when you are outside your comfort zone, and not to say 'I have control' when a someone is 1/2 a dot high and 10 kts fast on the ILS to a 3500m runway! The same viewpoint is valid to a wet 1700m runway at 1 nm final (the facts at least if not the taking control ie call for a go-around).

Last edited by TopBunk; 20th Jul 2007 at 18:49.