PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage affecting flight safety, analysts say
Old 20th Jul 2007, 16:10
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Non-pilot speaking
CaptKremin
And yet pay rates remain depressed below 2000 levels.
Something just doesn't add up.
That's because you are not an accountant.

ADFS That cosy idea is about 40 years out of date.

GMDS = Spot On!
These are the same kind of shortages that we seeing other areas, such as medicine. In IT, I have seen this: Mgmt want to save money so experienced person will not agree to do the job at that price. They then hire inexpereinced person who is rather cocky about his computer skills. He might scrape through but the company will have a rough ride or, the project is a disaster and they then have to spend the money that they originally agreed not to spend, in order to fix it. Does this sound familiar? Of course, in IT, when the project goes wrong, it is already on the ground ...

P.Pilcher Yes, exactly what I have been saying for some time. The problem, though, is to identify the fatigue element and apportion blame when appropriate.

There have been a number of threads where it is apparent that FC believe that the airline mgmt will reach for their prepared speech. (I have shortened the ten page document prepared by their lawyers):
This pilot was fatigued.
They should have declined the duty.
They know that we place the safety of our clients and staff above all else and are always sympathetic to people that are fatigued.
Since they did not absent themselves from duty .. it was their fault.

Meanwhile, in the background, you will hear many of their employees talking of the threats wielded if you DO report as fatigued.

So, yes, some people must die before anything changes because the only things that changes peoples minds are money and death.