PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British medics in Helmand buy own dressings
Old 20th Jul 2007, 15:39
Report Line

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my line of work I have worked with the Army on many occasions (including a two year exchange tour and a war). I can honestly say that when it came to the crunch and soldiers were lacking equipment little interest was shown by the powers that be. The Corps officers were slightly better than the Inf. In fact some of the scams conducted by the QM (which actively prevented kit being issued) were criminal - and subsequently proven to be so.

That said - this is one letter. I do feel somewhat uneasy when this sort of issue is catapulted into the national news with 'strategic effect' by our journo friends who may or may not have a hidden agenda. Perhaps we should delay judgement till things come out in the wash.

PS (top tip)

When on an exchange tour with the Army get the parenting arrangements (admin, stores etc) sorted so that you are covered by the nearest RAF Unit (even if its 150 miles away). When going on a detachment to hot places have your kit sent from the RAF Spt unit to your home rather than the QM's cos the QM will open the box - take what he wants and give you what he cannot swop/sell/barter in the Sgt's mess.

RL