PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2007, 15:36
Magic Mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moh,
The FA2 'bombing the Serbs to the negotiating table'! Take your tongue out of your cheek!!!!!
If I recall correctly, it was only ever FRS1 SHARs that dropped munitions in Bosnia. One of course also got shot down when the pilot bravely/stupidly (dependant upon point of view) reattacked. I understand the SF still have a contract out on him after he then wrote a book which blew several OPSEC factors! Although the FA2 rocked up later in the campaign, I don't think it ever dropped live but I could be wrong. During the Kosovo campaign in 99, a CVF turned up late in the campaign in what a cynic would suggest was a bit of a political move by the RN to get involved. The FA2s flew around 60 mins of DCA per day on the one of the southern CAPs. No kills sadly but at least one got visual with an Orao.
Navaleye,
I'd be interested in reading Cdr Ward's views. I regret that I have yet to find anything by him which is unbiased. Having recently read the excellent book by Dave Morgan on his experiences in the Falklands, it was in stark contrast to 'Sea Harrier Over the Falklands'.
Engines,
Valid point about the number of GR4s available. I think the issue about it going to Afghanistan has been force levels. The deployment of the fin to the Stan has certainly been considered but the Tornado requires a much bigger manning footprint than the GR7. The GR4 boys are very keen to get involved but I suspect that force levels was the deciding factor in not deploying them to Khandahar. AAR sorties could be flown from Qatar (as USAF assets do), but the stresses on the strat AT (and therefore AR) fleet are well known. Additionally, XCAS at such range is somewhat more sortie intensive than GCAS from a few miles down the road. In short, the Harrier has been a victim of its own (Joint RAF/RN) success in the Stan. It's ideally suited to the environment and the current task.
As far as adopting CVF as a core capability, I think it is well accepted. On a Joint course last year, several of the highest 'sea time' guys were RAF GR7 pilots. The reality of current ops however is that focus is out of necessity upon disembarked ops. Many other capabilities are being compromised in coming years in this respect. Maritime aviation is certainly not alone in this respect, although it is probably the most visible.
Regards,
MM

Last edited by Magic Mushroom; 20th Jul 2007 at 16:28.