PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2007, 13:27
theamrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bomarc – about the spoilers – if you watch the last few seconds of video a few times, you might notice the dark area over the wing – To me it looks like they were up at that late point. If so, that would probably finish the attempted GA idea.

Wileydog3 -
A second point is that we, as aviators, quickly respond to the blinking red light and the honking horn but we can miss the cues when things are failing but doing so only gradually. And when you add reinforcement from other sources such as no one missing the approach, no one going around, no one having problems clearing the runway after landing, no reports of braking problems, one would have to be somewhat psychic to conclude that the day is anything other than just another day at the office.

If I remember correctly, I think this was one of the features in the Qantas overrun at Bangkok. I think mis-cued comms on the tower frequency prevented the accident aircraft from hearing that a second company a/c ahead had decided to go missed due quickly deteriorating conditions on late finals – and therefore, had no reason to believe conditions were worse than reported earlier. They were ‘denied’ an important cue which may have been the alert needed to avoid trouble. Although, like in so many accidents there’s a chain of events – it only takes one link being broken, or one alert, to avert potential disaster.

I haven’t seen the work you refer to – but have seen the effect of ‘conditioning’ referred to many times before.