PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infringements of the Heathrow CTR
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2007, 12:18
Mike Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confession Time from long ago
I trained and flew out of WW many years ago (early 80's) and still remember coming in from the west in the Entry corridor, maps etc put away, perfect trip, stunningly accurate navigation, pride in my skills, at which point one of my pax in the rear seat decided he wasn't feeling well (definately my flying, not long after I'd got my PPL) it only seemed to take a moment with my head down to find a bag from the pocket and pass it back. Looked up and couldn't see the airfield but knew (!!) it would appear so just carried on my heading duh and then realised nothing looked right, odd town, Heathrow very clear in the distance. At this point a couple of brain cells clicked and I realised I'd passed the airfield, a very sharp left turn and reciprocal track got me back in the WW circuit. I was fully expecting a call from LHR and did report what I'd done to the Instructor. Fortunately, nothing official happened, I'm sure I entered the zone but not by very much, but It was a nervous few days awaiting a CAA phone call. Stupid, but after that I never let my attention wander from flying the aircraft!
Mike Echo