PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2007, 01:58
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An observation for what it is worth.
I have seen many A320 landings at our airport (similar runway length although grooved) in light wind conditions.
The visual dynamic (as seen) would be similar (from our tower) to that of the camera position in the video i.e. mid field ish’ and about the same distance from the thresholds (given relative aircraft size in the video etc)
Assumptions based on nothing:-
1. Touchdown at normal position
2. Touchdown speed within normal limits
3. Runway wet not flooded
Assumptions based on info here:-
1. Runway newly surfaced
2. Runway un-grooved
3. One previous over run/run off on the new surface (on the Monday previous)
4. Other aircraft landed without over run the night of the A320 accident
5. No 2 Rev inop
6. No 1 Rev operating (video)
7. Spoilers deployed (video) although not conclusive from the video quality IMHO
Questions arising:-
1. Should the aircraft appear slightly nose down (as is clearly visible on brake application during a normal landing of this aircraft type) or minor vertical oscillations (nose up and down a small amount on the nose oleo) if braking was having any retarding effect intermittently (even if aquaplaning)? .. as it does not look compressed to me???
2. Would the Rev thrust be deployed at or before application of brakes?
3. What could a crew do if the Rev are deployed and no brakes/ing available?
I know absolutely zip about Airbus systems, I do however remember a thread on here not that long ago about an exciting land and exit (an A321 from memory) where a certain config, or a change of config was required to get wheel braking …. Again, might be irrelevant, however based on what I have observed (generally speaking) even if aquaplaning or speed on touchdown was at play, by the time they reached the position as depicted in the Video i,e the upwind end, they would still have lost much of their speed.
It ‘looks’ completely wrong to me!

Last edited by Scurvy.D.Dog; 20th Jul 2007 at 03:10. Reason: better explain the nose compression V's braking look