PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeppesen Internet Flight Planner (rant)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2007, 01:09
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFAIK there is no free flight planning service for Europe that includes any usable charts
It doesn't have to be free, I am not that cheap (I think ). All I am expecting is that if something is labelled an "internet application", it will run on any modern, standards-compliant browser, regardless of what specific flavour of Linux I happen to be using at the time
Bit harsh to say that about Java - but everybody has an opinion.
Me too. It seems to have tried to be the solution to too many problems. Also much hype about its alleged "cross-platformness", however, lacking a comprehensively implemented standard (think C, or even ECMAScript) puts it at a serious disadvantage in this area. Plus, Real Programmers would never use anything with automatic garbage collection, would they? After all, there is nothing like a good old segfault (preferrably with core dumps littering the path.) to alert the user that something might not be entirely right with their software.
Ok, so I might have drifted a wee bit off topic there
http://fly.dsc.net is Java and works perfectly in a cross platform way
Yep, but it's server-side Java rather than client-side, so we're taking an inmense amount of variability out of the equation.
In any case, you know what would be great? Drauk's site with Dave Morrisey's design and especially the KML output options, fed from the Skyview project databases IO504 mentions above. Now that would be the canine's reproductive apparatus. In the meanwhile, Drauk's website is being great help during the strategic planning stage