PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2007, 18:35
canpax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irkytsk.

I am ordinary Canadian PAX speaking Russian.
Reading www.avia.ru discussions, I noted some similarities with last year Irkutsk incident. Brief description of that story:

A-310 (not A-320) made normal landing at Irkutsk. Reverser (#1?) was deactivated several days before (INOP in MEL at accident time). Crew used single working reverser after landing and then started to switch reverser off. According to black box, IN THE SAME TIME as switching reverser off, engine (or both?) went a full forward power. With full pedal breaks all the way, the plane overrun the strip and hit concrete structure and car garages at 190 km/h. Explosion, fire, many deaths.

Official version (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S7_Airlines_Flight_778) is that (allegedly tiered, deep night 4 am landing) crew unwillingly pushed main gears in the same motion as disengaging of reverser. This unusual hand kinetics was disputed by pilots during discussions. Alternative version – something wrong in engine(s) control that caused SYNHRONEOUS stepwise command (i) reverser off (ii) forward thrust on. Inappropriate locking procedure of INOP reverser several days before incident was blamed in such malfunction (in alternative version).

Although far fetched guess, unexpected forward thrust while landing may explain high speed while reverser still working. This theory has a chance if TAM black boxes reveal that crew did NOT attempt to go-around…