PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2007, 17:45
Johnbr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys....
I used to be a Shuttle service capt for over 10 years flying both the 737/300 an A319 between Rio and Sao Paulo.I have at least 2000 landings on that runway under my belt.I cannot offer any conclusion on what might have happened,but that runway IS slippery.And more so that it has been recentely resurfaced,the rain kept pouring down,sometimes quite heavily during the day in question,with not a single sunny spell all day long i.e the water kept soaking the runway.Add to that the fact that almost 80% of landings in CGH are performed in the southerly direction with rubber accumulation at the end of the A320īs landing roll and there you have iterfect condition for an accident to take place.Bear in mind that our eyes and minds are expecting the aircraft to be a lot slower than it was,it doesnīt seem accurate to say it actually had the speed to take off at that point.It was fast,but maybe it was at,letīs say 90 kt,when it was expected to be at 30 or 40...still not enough to fly...Who knows...
Maybe that glare at the end was caused by eng.stall...Who knows...Aquaplaning combined with darkness and a 1or 2 second late decision to go around...Who in hell knows...Not having any other data available,to me at least,itīs quite evident that the runway has indeed played a big part in this terrible event...No other conclusion is yet possible.Best regards.