PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DVD recorder stuff
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2007, 15:48
Binoculars

Just Binos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD recorder stuff

OK, I'm no whiz but I can get by with computers. But the whole digital TV/DVD/HDMI/PLASMA/LCD thing is way outside my field of understanding, and everything I can find on search engines has answers going back to 18 months ago, a period of time equivalent to that spanned by the dinosaurs.

I have purchased a set of speakers which can be heard in the next suburb, despite the patronising view of the salesman at one place telling me I would have to spend three times as much as I was planning to get anywhere near reasonable sound. Tw@t.

I regard huge TV's as rather similar to large watches in terms of compensation factors involved, but I am heartily sick of VCR's and can't wait to get a DVD recorder with HDD. In truth, given the amount of TV the family watches we could probably get by without a hard drive at all, but a hard drive it will be.

So. What do I need? I most definitely want the feature which allows me to start watching a program from the beginning before it has finished recording. Whatever that's called. HDMI? I know little about what is broadcast in HD in Australia or is likely to be in the future, but for me, a TV program is a TV program. I don't think watching a recorded football game requires high defintion of anything.

So I wandered lonely as a cloud around ebay and saw this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LG-DUAL-LAYER...QQcmdZViewItem

From my time watching ads for computers it's fairly clear that they bewilder newcomers by overwhelming them with what they will receive. It's only after the sucker has got his machine that he realises what it hasn't got is an operating system!

Any opinions on what I may be missing from the above system?