PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Experience with Ken Andrews
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2007, 13:20
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Ken was a flight commander at the RAAF Central Flying School at East Sale circa 1956 when I was learning to be a QFI on Tigers, Wirraways and Winjeels. Although I had previously flown the single seat version of the Vampire fighter I was given a dual trip with Ken in the dual version at CFS.
This version had a "clamshell" canopy which stood vertically when locked open and was dangerous if the wind caught it if unlocked. After landing we taxied to the CFS tarmac where Ken proceeded to unlock and raise the canopy after the engine was shut down.
I attempted to climb out of the Vampire by undoing oxygen and ejection seat connections and levering myself out of the seat by grasping the front of the windscreen. Ken cautioned me never to climb out until it was certain the canopy was indeed safely locked open. I thanked him for his timely advice and sat back in the seat to await his exit first - after all, he was a Squadron Leader and I a lowly Flight Sergeant.
Ken placed his gloved hands on the canopy bow and started to haul himself out of the seat. Without any warning, the open canopy unlatched and slammed down hard on his fingers trapping them under the metal frame of the canopy. Poor old Ken let out a frightful oath and managed to pull his fingers clear although it turned out he had fractured them.
I remember looking at him in awed admiration and congratulated him on a magnificent demonstration. He was not amused and snapped saying "That's not bloody funny, Flight Sergeant." "Yessir" I said, trying not to piss myself with laughter, cruel though it was. It took Ken several weeks to recover and he could be seen briefing his students with one hand heavily bandaged and the bandage looped around his neck rather similar to pictures of Napolean Bonoparte.