PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2007, 13:15
alemaobaiano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listening to the press conferences yesterday, and looking at the images that were released I got the distinct impression that spin control is in full flow and that every effort is being made to pin this on the crew.

The first film released showed the aircraft at a "higher than normal" speed for that portion of the runway, especially as they very carefully compared the images to a previous landing. It is travelling faster, but was that because the crew had already started to go-around?

Of much more importance is the image from the other end, which has just been obtained by TV stations here. That shows an apparently normal touchdown, a situation backed up by the comments of Brig-Gen Saito and the testimony of the tower controller on duty.

Why was the more important video not released at the same time? Probably to allow the idea of a "higher than normal" speed to sink into the public consciousness and so cast doubt on the crew, rather than the runway surface.

Both videos clearly show water present, both on the ramp and, from the spray generated by the aircraft, on the runway. We don't know the actually level of water, but the presence of water contradicts the impression left by the press conference yesterday.

Colonel Ferreira, probably the most respected aviation expert in Brazil, has publicly rebuffed the official line and commented about both videos on TV this morning. He left no doubt as to his views of why the first video was released, and why the second was not widely publicised.

I had originally included my views on why we are seeing the spin doctors in action, but on reflection decided that this is not the place for that. This forum is for factual information, or at least informed opinion, not wild speculation.

ab