PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2007, 12:13
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCAS is your friend....

Well, as long as the other guy remembers to turn his transponder on!

(We had a near-miss that was way too close for comfort at DNPO one day, when there was nothing to be seen on TCAS. After we got ourselves sorted out I went over to see the other crew involved. When I asked them to point out the transponder control in their F-27 they first had to find it. Then I asked why it was set on "Off," when they asked what the point of turning it on with no radar was. I had to give them the latest news about what ICAO recommended, how TCAS worked and all that sort of thing. It was all news to them.)

I think I should do okay with the Caverton Twotter. I know the Captain (ex-Bristow, actually) and I think he, like me, wants to retire on account of age and not an accident. What their extensive rotary-wing fleet gets up to, I have no idea. I should be okay above FL100, eh?

Your info is right up to date and alarmingly accurate. "Sausage-breath" is off to Down Under to impress the folks found there with his extensive and peculiar aeronautical knowledge. From what I know of Aussies I give him about six months before having a major hissy fit, but what do I know? Not least, he is going onto an SAR operation, when they might expect him to leave his bratwurst half-eaten or his Porsche Club magazine half-read, just because of some emergency or other. Let us see how that goes down.

All I care about is that I get another whack at that big pinata; working for normal wages is such a drag! I have ordered a copy of "How to Make Friends with Armed Robbers," just in case.