PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worst ever Pilot Insults
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2007, 11:04
dscartwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a couple of intriguing ATC moments a few years back, both in a PA-28 in RAF Marham's MATZ, as it happens.

On one of them, I'd got my MATZ crossing clearance, was squawking whatever code he'd given me, and was just about to exit the MATZ, so I called them up to say ta-ta. No reply. Odd, I thought, perhaps they've gone home, so I called up Norwich Approach instead, and they suggested I have a word with London Information. This I did, and was told: "Stand by - I'll try phoning them". A minute or two later, London Info came back to me, instructing me to go back to Marham's frequency and "they'll be with you shortly". Sure enough, a minute or so later my Marham chap's voice came through the ether: "G-XXXX, sorry about that, my radio broke. They tell me at London Information that you're not here any more, so goodbye, squawk 7000, and have a nice afternoon".

Another time I was in Marham's MATZ (again), squawking the code they'd given me, and the same controller (very pleasant chap) was having problems with a C152 that was asking for MATZ crossing from "overhead Dereham". He was given a squawk, and was duly identified. Well, sort of. The conversation was something like this:

"G-XXXX, Marham radar: I have you identified, but you're not over Dereham, you're over Fakenham".
"Marham, G-XXXX: Negative, currently 2000' over East Dereham".
"G-XXXX, Marham: Do you have Fakenham on your map?".
(pause)
"G-XXXX, Marham: That's Fa-Ken-Ham. F-A-K-E-N-H-A-M".
"Marham, G-XXXX: I see Fakenham on the map, but I know I'm over Dereham".
"G-XXXX, Marham: Well my radar knows you're over Fakenham, so perhaps you'd like to think again".

At this point he called me:

"G-YYYY, Marham: Traffic in your vicinity, 2000', over FAKENHAM" (the emphasis was his) "please state your current position".
"Marham, G-YYYY: Currently overhead your runway, 2000', QNH <whatever>, heading 270".
"G-YYYY, Marham: Thankyou, at least one of you knows where he is".