PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Majory Injury - Opinions?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2007, 10:14
Baritji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Majory Injury - Opinions?

Hey Guys,

In December of last year, I suffered a severe laceration to my upper left forearm. I completely severed the Ulnar artery, the ulnar nerve and the flexor tendons. I also partially severed the median nerve.

It is now nearly nine months since my injury, and my arm is still not healed. I have been told by my surgeon and occupational therapist that recovery will take a few years, but that I should regain pretty much full use of my arm. However, because of the severe damage to my nerves, I will have limited capability to 'feel'. I will regain full feeling again, but it will be quite hard to distinguish exactly where on my hand I am actually feeling something. I may feel a tap on the tip of my forefinger, but am actually being tapped below the knuckle.

I have also been told, that it will take a good couple of years, but my brain will adjust to this and I will eventually be able to use my left hand without the use of sight.

Now, up until the accident, I was having a great time with my flying training. I have already spent a hell of a lot of money, and I worked 80 hours a week (1 full-time, and 2 part-time jobs) just to get that far. I understand that with such a long time between flying lessons, I will probably have to start over again, but I would hate for it to feel like a complete waste of money!!! And, like most pilots I've known, aviation has been a life-long passion.

Are you aware of any pilots that have suffered similar injuries and still have a decent career? Do you think that I will ever be a 'safe' pilot? If you were a CA, would you fly with an FO with a history of such an injury?

Any other comments?

I have spoken to a couple of Dr's who do the aviation medicals in Darwin. However, neither have been able to tell me anything new, and refuse to comment on the prospects of my chosen career. I can understand their reluctance, but !!

Please be honest with your comments, however harsh... I have had nine months to emotionally deal with this, and have so far come out well on top!!

Also, if anyone knows of any Ops jobs or the like in Darwin, that do not require heavy lifting, which I might be able to apply for, I would be forever in your debt! It is probably important to know I am 20 in September.

Thanks heaps,

B