PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2007, 04:57
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Override;

re,
There was a lot of debate about whether a given jet has certain penalties on wet runways, whether with spoilers, reversers or whatever.

I don't see the point of such debate
The debate is valuable if for no other reason than it puts information in front of a very large community many of whom may be professional airline pilots flying the same equipment. Such discussion clarifies these matters, hopefully reduces misunderstandings and may put knowledge in a pilot's hands with which to handle future circumstances.

The "debate" (don't think it was quite that) isn't about searching for answers to this accident - not at all, at least that certainly isn't my own interest; - there's investigators for that and most here know enough to wait for their work to unfold. But the interest in these circumstances is clearly very high, almost certainly for the reasons given. We cannot possibly surmise what was on the Captain's mind at this point, if ever, but sufficient research can be done regarding the planning stages of the flight to hopefully gain valuable insight.

There would be no reason not to assume that the crew was as conservative as was demanded by the situation, a situation with which we may be certain they had seen many times before.

The media speculation we see is standard fare, much as the "expert" with the PPL. It soon goes away, leaving the investigators to their sad tasks and the families to grieve in private.

finfly1;

re,
Why is the NTSB going to involve themself in a South American airline crashing at a South American airport, flown presumably by a South American pilot flying a European jet?
Although I cannot point to the direct relationship, likely it has to do with ICAO Annex 13 which provides for varying levels of official status for foreign investigative bodies. The aircraft is certified in the US and this may be enough to provide the connection, or they may be invited for certain expertise on a consultative basis. The Canadians have vast experience with "contaminated" runways (CRFI, for one tool), wet or snow-covered and may also be part of any investigation.