PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing in a friends field
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2007, 23:18
chrisN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D&D calls after unusual landings off airfield

SkyHawk-N Quote:[snip] “I'm sure they would have got very fed up if all the contestents who landed out during the 2007 Eastern Regionals/15M Nationals had done this!”

On the contrary, they would rather have 27 calls saying there is no emergency than have 27 times x public calls to sort out enough fire appliances and ambulances in case the reported "crashes" are real. I called them after a land-out the week before, and they thanked me.

From the BGA web site:

"Distress & Diversion Cell Request 22nd July 2005

"The D&D Cell has requested that we ask all pilots to let them know if they have landed out and had to leave the glider in the field overnight or if, for any reason, they believe that the landout has caused or is likely to cause alarm. In these events, you should call the D&D Cell on 01895 426 150, letting them know the location and confirming that there are no casualties. The request follows an incident where a glider was left on a hillside in Wales recently to allow the owner to organize a particularly tricky retrieve. As a result, a helicopter was scrambled in poor weather to check for survivors at a reported glider 'crash site'.

Chris N.