PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2007, 17:54
fourgolds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Wileydog

There is no professional pilot who would knowingly operate into a dangerous airport . Well thats debatable. However thats not my point , you have misunderstood. I am merely saying that economics and corruption often take precedent over safety. Its the world we live in. As pilots we are the final link in the chain but what I am saying is that the regulating authority where responsible need to share accountability. Let me give an example.

Airport "x" maintainance authorities discover huge rubber deposits on the only runway. The junior manager advises his superior who agrees. So the beraucratic procedure starts .ie getting permissions , the issuing of notams etc.Problem is that airport "x" will have to be closed for some time to allow for the said maintainance at great costs to the local operator. So it is agreed by some sort of a risk management model to contiue opps ( example its not the rainy season so we dont have to worry for now) ,( i.e. the rubber deposits when wet turn into a slippy blubber)
Now what happens is that your highly professional colleague in the flight deck who would never fly into an airport that is " obviously dangerous" happens to be the first to land after a surprise rain shower has moved through the field. And my Goodness an aquaplane and off the runway.

So what I am saying is that often " overruled your Honour" takes precedent over " thank you your honour we are onto it"

My condolenses to all concerned .