PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2007, 17:44
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what the decade has to do with it, Vapor, but this is the century after man safely landed six manned spacecraft on the moon, with no go arounds unless you count Apollos 8, 9 and 13.

wileydog3 is on the money with his thought-provoking observations here:
Originally Posted by wileydog3
Every airline operates with an eye on three factors; safety, risks and economics.
If you want to be completely safe, you don't fly.
If you accept all risks, you are highly vulnerable to accidents/incidents.
If you don't acknowledge economics, you're out of business.
.... what kind of pilot would routinely fly in and out of a 'clearly dangerous' airport? For that to happen you have to assume a rational person is consciously making irrational decisions. Who does that on a continuing basis?
However, I think the jury has to be out on rational persons consciously making irrational decisions especially when politics and commercial interests dare them to differ, so I am less inclined to agree with the next quote:
My point.. no one knowingly attempts to land at a 'clearly dangerous' airport. One doesn't survive long doing that.
I think they might survive for as long as their luck lasts.

I very much agree with
(note: comments meant for peacetime civilian ops and not military ops where all bets are off when it comes to some missions)
All is fair in love and war ... but that's the proviso that seems so easily to creep into peacetime civilian ops thesedays to keep stockholders happy.

I always feel very sad when I learn of lives lost of innocent victims of political will.