PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boy pilot died after tower gave suprise instruction
Old 18th Jul 2007, 15:11
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup true, "If the pilot is unready for this, why is he going solo?" i know air law is done prior to solo but perhaps some multiple choice flight proficiency exam should be introduced on the day of solo to cover all aspects and eventualities that may occur on the flight?av84
Well let's think about this for a minute. I have never really understood the reason why the student has to pass air law before solo yet, because of the CAA interpretation of Rule 5, it has become almost impossible to teach Engine Failure After Take Off and comply with Rule 5 yet EFATO is (quite rightly in my opinion) in the PPL Syllabus.

I ask you which is more important, having a knowledge of the Quadrantal Rule or having the actual skills to deal with an EFATO and walk away from the wreckage?

I repeat what I have said earlier on this thread that this accident was caused by the student failing to recognise the signs of an approaching stall, the symptoms of the full stall and failing to recover. Yes there were extenuating circumstances and maybe he inadvertantly put the aircraft in a situation where it was about to stall BUT he failed to recover at the incipient stage (assuming the stall warner was operating correctly). As an instructor of some experience I find this hard to say but this points to a lack of training in stall recognition and recovery.