PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineering in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:26
Orville The Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engineering in the RAF

I have been thinking about posting this question on this forum for a while now, couldn't believe it when I read the "James May in a Typhoon!" thread, where airborne artist and diginagain talk about 30 somethings appearing on here to ask advice. Honestly I didn't see the programme and I'm not aspiring to be a Typhoon pilot (haven't even managed to land a C152 without assistance yet).

I have been considering joining the RAF as an Engineer Officer for some time, and was planning to visit the RAF careers office but thought it might be worthwhile to get some opinions from some people who are actually serving first.

I'm 36, so I am right at the top of the age limit for entry. I am currently working as a mechanical engineer in the industrial gas turbine industry, but since becoming interested in aviation I have found myself wanting to work with aeroplanes. I would be very grateful for any advice anyone could offer about what I could expect if I was able to join up.

I expect that basic training is very hard, but I think I could still cope with it fairly well, as I have stayed fit over the years and even though I'm a bit of a geriatric compared to most people who join up I reckon I could still give most of them a run for their money. I'm pretty sure I would cope with the discipline side of the training aswell, and would be able to fit in OK with a group of people a lot younger than me (don't think I've ever really grown up, hence wanting to play with aeroplanes for a living).

What is day to day working life like after basic training, and what could I expect with regard to pay and conditions - the RAF careers website states that the pay is £28k after training, which is similar to what I earn now. Could I expect this to increase substantially over the years? I live very close to RAF Coningsby and working there would be perfect for me (especially as it might give me the opportunity to work with either the Typhoon or the BBMF) - when you join up do you get any choice at all over where you serve, or do you just get posted to wherever there is a requirement for personnel?

No doubt umpteen other questions will spring to mind the second after I post this, but for now any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Orville.