PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 18th Jul 2007, 11:55
moggiee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

I trust that Mr Kenny won't mind me making this post as I believe that it seems to show a desire to move forward, for the benefit of all.

Mr Kenny has been in touch with me to express an interest in taking up my offer for him to use the information I posted above (re:go-arounds) in a forthcoming article about "what happens on a go-around" or words to that effect. This would involve, as I offered, me allowing my real name to be used and he has indicated which passages he proposes to use.

I am minded to do this as I think it will help set the record straight - but would appreciate comment from my peers here as to the accuracy and relevance of my post. The sections to be used are:

"The crew and ATC know that this is a safe route because ATC do not put any other aeroplanes into that piece of airspace. At no point should it require the crew to use more than the normal bank angle for an airliner, although due to the relatively low speeds flown it will feel like a tighter turn."

"A go-around feels dramatic because the aeroplane makes the transition from a descent at around 800 feet per minute (along a glidepath which typically has a 3 degree descent angle) to a climb at several thousand feet per minute and a climb angle in excess of 10 degrees."

"In fact, the rules of the air state that when ATC clear a crew to fly an approach, they are also giving that crew permission to fly the go-round, therefore the crew do already have permission! It's a bit like a car rally - Colin McCrae doesn't have to go slowly round the corners because he knows that no one is coming the other way."

Your input please.