PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bovingdon: 1950s, a small airline??
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2007, 11:24
Speedbird48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bovingdon.

I was there in 1953 if that is any help.

There were 2 airlines with bases there, Hunting Clan with Vikings, that moved out to Heathrow, and Skyways.

Hunting Clan had Vikings but, as far as the memory goes, did not run any scheduled services.

Skyways at Bovingdon was a result of Eric Rylands buying the Lancashire Aircraft Corp'. Lancashire had the contract to maintain the Fighter Command Comm' squadron and the Coastal one as well. When that contract lapsed they all became Skyways employees and overhauled, Check 5, a York. That was when I joined.

Skyways then bought 10 Handley Page Hermes from BOAC, and after some BOAC union issues they were ferried to Bovingdon for conversion to trooping airplanes.

All 10 were converted, a couple went to Middle East Airlines for a contract and another to Kuwait although for short periods of time. The rest flew to Cyprus and Singapore carrying troops. They operated out of Blackbushe as the contract had some ties to Airwork, who also had some Hermes but not enough to run the contract.

Once they were all converted an running Skyways shut down the Bovingdon base and moved everything to Stansted.

There were no other airlines there. The USAF had a hangar with a bunch of C-47's, Hunting Clan had another, Skyways another ,and the Comm' flights the remaining one. There was a small terminal and I seem to remember it had customs, mainly for the military.

Brian.