PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 18th Jul 2007, 11:10
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Kenny, you were right to consider your piece newsworthy and now having seen the true nature of some of the minds that make the decisions, you might see the basis of further newsworthy items.

Unfortunately many of the contributors to this forum consider themselves to be infallible, unassailable professional experts and controllers within their own world. They often consider the opinions of outsiders to be valueless unless you feed them carefully.

Unluckily for you, they can see that despite your 40 years of flying, you have never been a pilot so some of your latest comments are very conspicuous as obvious 'back-seat driver never learned to drive myself never saw the point' type comments which sadly dilute the original point of your story i.e. that there may be more poorly controlled aborted-landing incidents at some airports than most people would expect.

There are however some in this thread like Luke Stulewater who present a balanced understanding of the world of aviation (there is no world of aviation worth speaking of without the one that includes fare-paying passengers).

As a perhaps rash generalisation, it might be said that go arounds do often up the ante both on the flightdeck and in the back.

There are reports that the dreadful Sao Paolo incident last night may have followed a "go around", and yet further reports that a second go around may have been attempted during the landing roll that led directly to the crash. If so, it might be fair to ask why did it go around the first time, and why did it not go around the second time?