PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Aussies in EY ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2007, 03:03
Home In The Sky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will try to answer your questions without being put in front of the firing squad.
Quality of Life for family - good but leaves a thumping big hole in your back pocket. Unless your kids are couch potatoes who stay home watching dvds and play station all day, a club membership$$$ is a good idea.
Accommodation - if you go out on your own for accommodation, you will be paying out of your own pocket. Company accommodation is an apartment which will have you in town or close to it, or a villa in the middle of bloody nowhere - miles from anything that your kids are likely to want to do - unless quadbiking is their thing. Their is the rent to buy scheme, but have not looked at it seriously as don't plan to be here long enough to make it work.
Schooling - The British School best for Brit education, but unless you have a Brit passport, forget it! A new school just opening in competition to BSAK no Brit passport required. Other two top schools are American Community and Al Raha School, school allowance does not come close too.
Company Now and Future - I keep on asking my crystal ball the same question, but it clouds over. If you have the patience of a saint, it may come right, but at present I doubt it. I often ponder how I could have been so stupid as to believe the fairy tale that was painted at the interview. And I know, if you don't like it leave! With critical years in schooling at the present, moving now would disadvantage my kids. I was the fool, not them!
Rosters/Lifestyle - rostering practises here leave a lot to be desired and the fact that GCAA allow this to continue is of concern. Annual leave is impossible to get so don't be surprised if you work for 12 months straight without a break with your family.
The perfect job doesn't exist, but I am sure there are better than this out there.