PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Formula for lift: Question
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2007, 02:52
BGRing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Davey. I think I know what You mean

My keyboard has no numpad so I can not do Alt codes.

as I had put it above 1/2 x roh x VSquared would work on it own. But that is not the formula so if the whole formula was to be writen this way it would come out incorect. thus the (brackets)

Lift = Cl x (roh x 0.5) x (VxV) x S

would that work or would you still need to add the [] for the roh portion. As I think i understand it. the brackets are to instruce you to use the answer to the math inside them.

where if it were not in brackets then CL would be halved and then Times roh (being the incorect method)

WirlyGig. You are way smarter than I could ever be (Due mainly to my Interests and needs) and I have decided that it is not all bad to be a bit of a . My brain cringes when I see the formula you had in the last link. I understood you Example about Distance over time is Speed and Speed variations over time give Aceleration differences and that the Area under them are Speed and Aceleration respectivly. I think I understood how you used time twice thus Squared it. but still dont know where you halved a Constant..

not to worry. I have a friend who i a math teacher. He understood the examples given, though due to is relativly lesser experience with Aerodynamics and Physics. was not (Just yet) able to describe the lift formula. though , he did say that the 1/2 goes with the (VxV).. So I will enlist his abilitys to bring my Relativly Slow Brain, and its comprehension, up to date.

Thanks to you all for your help.
PS. Nick. My heli book says it is an average of the start and End velocity. I couldn't see it due to the placement of it at the r instead of after (VxV) x 0.5 x S . and because the book told me to refer to Dynamic energy.
and in this book. it says

Dynamic Energy is (1/2xM) x (VxV)

thinking on it.
the total Energy spent is Momentum. IE MxV
but that is the end result. not the average of both.

My brain hurts.. I still see that it is because you are minusing the action from momentum to get reaction. THats it. I am lost..

Gona call the Math teacher now.