PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2007, 02:39
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re, "we must now think of possible mechanical problems...delays in spoiler deployment for example...delays in thrust reverser use...."

In Config FULL, neither spoiler deployment nor reverse thrust are available until the AIRGR switch is in the GROUND mode. This is not the case in Config 3. I suspect that given the runway length and contaminated runway conditions that this would likely have been a Config Full landing but we'll have to wait for the numbers.

Also, it will be of interest to know if the CAS was managed or selected. In the Lufthansa overrun accident in Poland, the speed was in the "Selected" mode and there was a slight tailwind if I recall correctly, (I believe this is not the case here given the METAR info). The above scenario (spoilers/reverse unavailable) did however play a role in the accident. I believe this was one reason Lufthansa went to Config 3 landings but that's only hearsay.

FYI, a go-around at/after a touchdown is a valid and approved Airbus maneuver so long as reverse has not been selected. CATII and III certification standards provide for a touchdown during any go-around maneuver.

Last edited by PJ2; 18th Jul 2007 at 02:50.