PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Great Captain
Thread: Great Captain
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2007, 00:00
the heavy heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rest my case!

seem's all the guy's who do theese front of the cabin pa's are now becoming desperate to tell us just how good their leadership and people skills are, how very interesting.

just for the record i have wandered round the cabin speaking to the punters after the few 'incidents' i've had. i've even been up to the gate to quell a riot during the gate gourmet fiasco (without my hat or jacket i may add, ) and i've even went and re-assured a very nervous pax after an eng surge on t/o. amazing crm or leadership? don't think so just a bit of common sense and in all cases actions prompted by the problems being faced by other members of my team who accepted the offer of help. we all know that every situation has various solutions. my point is, and i think flaps and a few others agree, that there are some who at any given chance will leap to the front galley, hat medals and gloves on and act like total tools whilst convinced they are showing the rest of us how it should be done! like i've said already it's all the guys/girls who tell me how good their crm is that tend to be the hardest work and the least effective.

b4 you know it you'll be doing pa's in the ga instead of the gear!

this kenneth branagh thing is impossible on my jet, would look at bit silly doing it on the upper deck stairs! i would think 95% of long haul csd's would consider it a major crm failing if the pilots started engaging the pax in the cabins with face to face pa's unless they had requested the help. are we suggesting that our people skills are so wondeful that the cc require our intervention to keep the pax calm?

isn't the point of the comunication element of crm traning to ensure that information can be passed thru the crew structure effectivley enough to allow all members of the crew to perform at an optimum? in suggesting that the capt should be making some of his pa's from the cabin are we suggesting that our cc colleagues are incapable of dealing with our customers needs without our direct physical intervention? if they request it then in a short haul enviroment i would almost always comply with a request to aid the cc if they felt they required it. isn't any other intervention a display of poor crm and dare i say it narcacism? i always thought that leadership was about giving those under our care the backing, support and encouragement to do their job better whilst letting them get on with the task that they had been given, in this case dealing with the pax!

an old sqn ldr once said to me as i was running to a has, "don't run son, it worries the troops'. having seen a fear of flying course at first hand i seem to remeber that one of the triggers for nervous flyers is anything out of the their percieved ordinary. i would suggest that the capt in the front galley with a mic is probably not what they were expecting! your great idea to calm them may be the thing that puts them over the edge, ever thought of that?

or maybee it's a little jet thing?

Last edited by the heavy heavy; 18th Jul 2007 at 00:15. Reason: to add some more spelling errors and poor gramar