PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 22:26
The Jolly Roger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a short reply,

I am a controller. I've worked in high traffic density areas. Without meaning to sound like a parrot, the piece of journalism written by Mr Kenny only adds to Passenger worries. Would it not have been wiser to be a little more unbiased about this whole 'go-around' procedure. Maybe it would have been a better and more respected piece of journalism to point out to the 'lay' readers that go arounds are carried out for one reason only...to ensure safety. If I was reading that article as a lay person, I'd be fairly worried about flying from Dublin. Is it safe? Just because 4 happened in one week means that everybody was doing their job properly, and putting safety first. It is also highly unlikely that the IAA haven't got any report on one of the go-arounds. IT IS MANDATORY for ATC personnel to report a go-around for whatever reason under the Mandatory Occurence Reporting MOR. If I were you Mr Kenny, I would make it clear that passengers are safe flying from Dublin or elsewhere in Ireland.