PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boy pilot died after tower gave suprise instruction
Old 17th Jul 2007, 22:25
chiglet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single Spey
Chiglet - confirm please then that the B744 was instructed to 'just take a left turn and fly south' followed 30 seconds later by 'Virgin x just to confirm turn southbound now'? Note - no instruction to go around.

Somehow I seriously doubt that this was the way the incident you refer to was handled. If it was then I would have major concerns about the standard of ATC at MAN.

Incidentally, have you read the AIB report?
Standard G/A at Manch is s/a then Right turn..[can't remember headings or altitude] I was the Air Assistant when the Dash lost the donk. After the Mayday call, the Dash was given any runway, any turn. Air 2 [24L] Departures told Air1 24R Arrivals what was happening. The Virgin 744 was told to execute a non-standard go around and make his heading 180 degrees, as was the a/c behind and no 3. The Dash flew a right hand circuit and landed on 24R
That is to the best of my knowledge what happened that day. If you think that makes Manch ATC a poor standard, then that is your perogative.
If you mean the AAIB report on the Dash, no I haven't, but I contributed some photos for it
waip,iktch