PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female Pilots
Thread: Female Pilots
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2001, 10:00
mwashi

Thumbs up

It is indeed good to see more female pilots.

Unfortunately, it is not very easy for us. So many of us have admired the blue skies but only the few of us has made it.
Most women who act like tomb boys or dykes seems to be treated better and easely accepted as well. For the rest of us, we have to work twice as hard to prove ourselves.
I learned my lessons early enough. I was an FAA certified Airframe and Powerplant technician before I got my pilot certificates. At first, nobody wanted to hire me as an aircraft maintenance engineer, even when I finally got hired, my workmates didn't want me there, and they bet I wasn't going to last 90 days. I was the first female tech they ever have, and I still do share locker room with the men.
They said and did discouraging things to me. I am only 5'7" weigh 125 Lbs but I had to lift a 200 lbs main landing gear tire by myself just because I choose that proffesion. I would go home after work and cry for hours but I couldn't afford to complain or quit because this job paid good enough to fund my flight training.
I knew if I wanted to keep my job, I had to turn every negative situation into a learning experience.
And now, 2 years later, not only that I own a set of pink screw drivers but I am also one of the fastest, efficient, and I train new hires on various aircraft maintenance. All that weight lifting has given me the best lean body, and the guys are my best friends. They even invite me on their social gatherings. They have also just reveal to me that some of the guys had bet on who was going to bed me first. So far, none of them yet. I joke with them that they can look but they can't touch.I also deal with pilots on daily basis, they also respect me as well. This December I will be graduating with my bachelor degree in Airline Administration and enough flying hours to switch from maintenance to flight. In short, we have to work hard at first but at the end we will be happy campers. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything because they made me a strong individual that I am today. I am sure dealing with one male co-pilot would be nothing compare to 12 Michigan rednecks at once.