PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spotters asked to prevent terrorism!
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2007, 13:24
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipness One Echo

You would phone police if you saw someone/thing suspicious, great, why do you need a spotter watch for others to do it? Which is my point, why have a spotterwatch for the obvious?

You don't park in front of crash gates etc, again, great, but if only everyone did that! But no form of spotterwatch is going to stop it.

I have no objection to spotters, well apart from one bus spotter but thats a different story. What I do object to, and so did many other police officers at LHR was the way they acted, most of which was against common sense as well as legislation. As a result of which, the amount of time we had to spend dealing with them was high. That time could and would have been better spent.

And because they acted in the way they did, they all get tarred that way. It was probably for that reason the BAA always wanted spotters removed. Once outside the airport fence, eg Myrtle Ave, thats fine. But that is the point where they could have proved thier worth, and didn't.

As I said at the begining, its a nice theory, that shouldn't be needed, in that its a public duty to report anything suspicious anyway, but even if in place, will it achieve anything? No, I'm sorry I don't think it will.