PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EMIRATES - Crew Discussions
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2007, 12:03
Leito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First I must say "MABROUK" or congratulations for joining the family, I bet it was worth waiting for the call, now relax and get ready for the trip, at least you have a couple of months to do so.

I will try to answer most of your questions, so, here it goes.....

1) Regarding the trips we get a fair share of everything, you could end up doing 2 or 3 turn arounds in a week, followed by 2 lay overs and then some more turn arounds, the thing is that it all depends of the group that you are placed into for the bids system, I will try to explain this, wish me luck .....
We are all placed in 7 groups, and every month one group will be on top, ie: lets say that for August the groups would be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. So, group 1 will be on top and therefore will get most of the trips that they bid for, while group 7 will be on reserve during August. On September it will rotate, so, 2,3,4,5,6,7,1 now Group 2 is on top while group 1 is on reserve, and so on and so on, eventually all groups will be on top and all groups will be on reserve, so it doesn't matter how junior or senior you are we all get to do it all. We can do 5 bids including days off, so, while on top or 2nd top you could get most of what you want, (it's only a wish list at the end of the day and nothing is garanteed), and on reserve you have 35 days on a blank roster, sometimes it comes partially filled with flights but you will also have to do stand by a few days, it will all be explained to you in detail once you are here.

2) Only for language speaker they might take in consideration to send you to certain country, ie: if you speak Russian then you could do more DME flights than other crew, not necessary the rule but in some cases it's like that, but if you bid correctly and your group its nearly on top then you could end up going where ever you want, as I said, we all do everything.

3) It's up tp you if you want to bring boxes but most people bring a suitcase, even though one will be provided by the company, it's your call.

4) No hotel contracts, as it would be very difficult to have the same hotel chain all over the world, but all 4 or 5 stars.

5) Food into DXB it's not a problem, you can even bring pork or what ever food you want, but becareful, you being Astralian should know better that some countries (like yours) are very picky when it comes to importing of food, fruits, seeds, plants, etc. So just be aware !!!.

6) Cant help you in this one I'm afraid, but you will have a grooming session and can ask the ladies on your class.

7) Yes, I believe that it's 4 littres, again you will be informed about this.

8) Ever heard of cultural awareness?, well my dear, you will be happy to know that the bathroom it's not like the japanese style, I actually think it's cool that one, but anyway, it's not.

9) I don't advise you to tell anyone about your anti depressants pills, most of that stuff it's banned over here, so be careful, and think again if you are really going to be ok being here on your own as life can be tough sometimes and lonliness can take over, you need to be very strong emotionally or else you will suffer, many crew can take it .

I hope that it helps, once again, you will be informed about all this things once you get here, so don't worrie about a thing, when I came I knew nothing about the company or Dubai and I survived, so chill out and relax your time at home, make most of it !!!!

Leo