PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article by COLUM KENNY of the Irish Independent.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 10:51
CamelhAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moggiee, very well said.

Mr Kenny, moggiee puts it well. We're criticising the obvious lack of carrying out an essential part of a journalists job: research. Were any of us airline pilots to neglect to carry out an essential part of our jobs, say neglecting to study the weather at destination, leading to a diversion for example, we know we would be hung, drawn and quartered in the very paper you write for, which would, as usual, and not just about aviation, act as judge, jury and executioner.
You may be getting excoriated on this website for the article in question, however the audience is relatively small. On the other hand, a pilot who makes an error (in the eyes of the paper at least) will be denounced to an audience of millions. You may believe that you have not been critical of the pilots, however the average reader will, however unconsciously, detect an implicit condemnation. And not only have you the opportunity to reply to the criticism on this website, we, as a group, have no opportunity to reply to media inaccuracies. Would that we could, but your editor sees fit to not print any of my letters to him regarding inaccurate journalism.
Your whinging about anonymous (and if you wonder why I choose to remain so, why not ask that great hero your paper so avidly adores, mick o'leary?) replies, to which the audience is small and you can reply to, is not likely to be received too well while you and your ilk continue to print the standard rubbish you do print, without any opportunity to reply.

The conspiracy theorist who felt that I was trying to be pro-Ryanair and anti-Aer Lingus was simply wrong.
I suspect you mean me. You personally might not be of this opinion, but it is the editorial policy of your newspaper. If you doubt that, I suggest you consult your colleagues Shane Ross and Laura Noonan.

Finally, I do commend you for appearing on this site. A belated attempt at research and to understand the issues is better than nothing. I trust you will now pen an article that accurately deals with go-arounds, utilising all your new found knowledge.