PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just started my PPL & need some advice..
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2007, 06:56
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, welcome to the world of flying. no its not easy, but like all things with time and practise you will find its second nature. Tension headaches, could also be brought on or made worse by dehydration. Water is your best friend here.....untill you really need to pee and there are not many options available to you.

As for learning, mostly we learn in a serial manner, one thing at a time, and eventually the skils habbits and routines have to be performed in parallel, when you fly solo. So that is when the work rate feels to be at a point you can not cope with it all. Eventually some of the things you think about, i.e scanning instruments checking altitudes, frequency changes, all begin to flow without so much thinking about them. This then allows you to relax more. Enjoy the view and overall be in a better position to comfortably deal with a diversion, an ATC instruction without causing a sweat!

So when learning is it normal, of course it is. But in a few hours and it may be 20 or 200 you will be fine even on a long X country trip.

As for how to deal with it.....Plan your flight & Fly your plan. Even may pay to play it through in your mind, dare I say it, do a dummy run on FS if you have it.....biggest thing is, work ahead in your plan, be in front of the plane not with it or behind it. So long as you keep calm all will be fine.

Listen to your instructor on how to manage yourself in the flight, eventually you will develop a routine that works for you.

I am sure you will get plenty of interesting and informative replies here too!

J