PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Airport codes
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2000, 00:34
Pelican

Unhappy ICAO Airport codes

I quite like the IATA airport codes. One of the things I like about them is that most of them actually make sense. No such luck when it comes to the ICAO codes. Sure the occaisional code might make sense but by and large there doesn't seem to be any logic involved. As an example let's look at London Luton Airport (IATA code LTN) which is EGGW. I find it hard to locate the letters G and W in the name of the airport. What makes it even stranger is that there is the close by airport London Gatwick, which, as you may have already noticed, does include the G and the W and would have been an obvious candidate to receive the EGGW code. But, no, they decided to use the code EGKK. This is just one example of the mysteries of ICAO coding and there are, as we all know, many more. Who came up with these codes ?? They are clearly impractical by seldomly reflecting the name of the airport and as a consequence us poor pilots (snif) have to keep looking up all the codes for the airports we fly over (unless you have a real good memory, in which case you would be a lawyer).