PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Flights in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2007, 22:06
the_daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hints..

Well here's my 2p's worth...

Make sure that if you venture into class B or C airports (Which are still free to land at!) that you are comfortable with departure clearances. I for one don't ever get them whilst flying G.A in the UK due to the airfields I fly to/from - remember to read back exactly!

Flight following is a great facility. Call up Socal Approach / Santa Barbara App / LA Approach etc etc.. In the first call highlight you have a VFR request. Then when they get back give them the usual TRPACER (Or whatever it is you use) and ask for flight following. They will generally pass you off to the appropriate ATC along your route which is nice.

Use the 1-800-WXBRIEF telephone number before every flight (I believe it's actually a requirement but could be wrong) Either way this is an excellent service.

Get a copy of the current FAR/AIM and read it!

Use the semi-circular rule i.e. 0-179 Odd+500, 180-359 Even+500. And remember they don't have a transition until 18,000ft (I believe)

Oh, make sure you have ALL required documents with you at all times... CofA, Medical, License, POH etc etc.. I got ramp checked in Santa Barbara which was slightly unnerving to see a federal agent driving up to your aircraft after landing! But it is just a random spot check (and yes I was all good!)

DONT GO INTO BRAVO or CHARLIE AIRSPACE WITHOUT CLEARANCE! And also while you're at it stay clear of Miramar and any other Naval/Airforce base you happen to ponder near!

Go over L.A! You'll never get an experience like it here! 40 Miles of urban landscape! A bit worrying with engine out emergencies but I had a very big eye out for potential landing spots and there are a fair few airports in the basin. I didn't even enter the bravo space when I came back down from San Fran, I flew around it, but I was still very much over L.A! Just keep the other big eye out for traffic as it gets a tad busy over there!

In a month you could seriously cover a lot of ground. I went as far east as Phoenix and as far north as San Fran in 2 weeks... And I had two friends who wanted to be on the ground as much as in the air...

There's a couple of Islands close to San Diego/LA that are worth a visit, but keep an eye on weather.

If you feel confident do a VFR flight at night over San Diego... Stunning!

I hope at least some of that helps... Have a great time! Are you flying from KSEE by any chance?