PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orbiting on Final
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2007, 18:20
UncleNobby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a student pilot this is a relevant and useful thread with a lot of issues raised. Unfortunately these points are raised as a result of a tragedy and my sympathies go out to the student pilots family and friends.

- I fly out of a busy Class D airport in the States (not a flying farm in Florida). First solo was on Saturday. Prior to my solo departure I informed the tower that I am on a student solo. I noticed the controller communications with me for the length of my solo was slower and clearer than usual.
They also cannot ask a student solo to perform certain maneuvres in the pattern (hence the reason you tell them). S-turns for spacing is one and I'm sure an orbit (or 360) would be out of the question. If I felt uncomfortable with any instructions I would have no hesitiation in informing them of my inability to perform and remind them I was on a student solo if necessary. Once in the air you are the PIC, not ATC. If you are unable then do not comply, fly the AC and communicate with them.
- Regarding learning to fly in a busy controlled airport. It's not a problem, you pick it up pretty quickley and also have someone else looking out for you when you are in their airspace (obviously you are not relying on them for collision avoidance but another set of eyes is always welcome!). Towered airports also have better services such as weather alerts, runway advisories etc. We depart the class D for practice maneuvres about 15 miles away so that's not an issue.
Plenty of non towered strips in the vacinity to practice that kind of flying too. Actually found it a little more difficult having to announce your position and intentions on a common frequency and not have ATC instuct you what to do! But you get used to it!! Both are good expericences...only drawback with a class D is holding short for departure for 10 minutes (doesn't happen very often!), but rubing shoulders with Learjets, 737's and A10's make up for that!!
- as far as clearance to land with an AC still on the runway, wouldn't expect to hear that ever. ATC will inform us be prepared for a go around in advance if there is a any kind of potential conflict on the RWY, instruct us to go around if necessary, or clear to land if the conflict is resolved. Of course, a pilot can always go around whenever he/she deems it necessary.

Last edited by UncleNobby; 16th Jul 2007 at 19:10.