PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B744 MCP Airspeed Setting (V2 Versus V2+10)
Old 16th Jul 2007, 13:34
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCP V2 or V2+10

Hola NSEU -
xxx
Your suspicions about UAL are absolutely right.
xxx
Please be aware that US air carriers have the dubious idea of not using Boeing publications such as the FCTMs or AOMs. They all consider that "they" know better than Boeing how to fly airplanes. These airlines publish their own "translations" of the Boeing bibles with generally questionable results. Through my long career on the 747 Classic with PanAm and now Argentina, I have collected the 747 manuals from a few US air carriers, and while PanAm's or TWA's are quite well published, some are notoriously poor... the worst I have seen are manuals... from UAL.
xxx
Anywhere I have been in the world, and traded info (or seen manuals) of other operators, all were published by Boeing, and quite similar, the manuals just reflecting the "differences" for each customer airline.
xxx
I have the Boeing original AOMs Vol.1 and 2 from Argentina, Varig, Singapore, Qantas, Air NZ, Cargolux and KUSS Group airlines, and other than specific differences such as engines (PW, GE or RR) or "switchology", the normal, or emergency procedures remain absolutely similar.
xxx
Even check-lists are similar, here and there with one line or two differences. The similarities are such that you can take a pilot trained with Qantas SOPs, and test him in simulator with an Argentina crew and their SOPs, there will be no major differences. But do not try that with a UAL or a NWA pilot...
xxx
As I am not trained in the 747-400, I can only mention what it is for the Classic 747-200/300 or SP... but I can smell where the UAL idiosyncracies would surface, or coming from any other USA airline... Even UAL I remember, has different "aircraft limitations" than standard...
xxx
Do you know that it is possible, with Boeing AOMs and SOPs, to "mix and match" pages of the manuals, and make them compatible, including the numbering of each chapter and pages therein...??? - I had to do that a few years ago, when my airline in Argentina had leased 747-200/300s coming from Singapore, Varig and Qantas...
xxx
I am certain that it is the case with the 747-400 Boeing publications.
xxx
Gentlemen, you also mention different V speeds, these deal with "improved performance" when excess runway is available. In the 747 Classic, you merely select the V2 of the "improved climb". In any case, for the Jurassic 747, we do not use the flight director for pitch control until... 400' AGL...
xxx

Happy contrails