PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boy pilot died after tower gave suprise instruction
Old 16th Jul 2007, 12:34
flower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flower, no instructor is going to send a student solo until they're absolutely certain he/she is ready to deal with whatever may arise on that circuit(s). Including, engine failures after take-off and go-arounds.

It's a very sad incident that ultimately comes down to the guy handling the aircraft, it's not a controllers job to decide who should and who shouldn't be sent around.
Having had to talk too many student pilots around the circuit I would beg to differ and I still say the priorities regarding going solo are wrong, more emphasis on experience and less on going solo would help everyone out it isn't a game about who can do it the quickest , although reading many forums that is exactly what goes on..
However ComJam perhaps you would really care to explain the statement about who decides who goes around and who doesn't, that one doesn't make any sense to me. Yes Pilot initiated go arounds we understand but there are also ATCO initiated go arounds and they don't tend to be given simply because we feel like them they are for reasons of safety .