PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Shortage
Old 16th Jul 2007, 12:16
Mr.Brown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree wth the standard of students the college is sending out is generally very poor, I believe i have the level of technical knowledge i need to be a trainee B1 engineer
There is a massive downfall in the industry nowadays in that no one is doing apprenticships, you can just go to college pass all the exames obtain the relevent experience (which is nothing to the level of an apprenticship). These lads out of college just need their sheets signed to get their B1's or B2's.
I had to graft for four years, before being given the tilte of mech/fitter. Then and only when you had the relevent experience you could apply for your airframe or engine or electrics or radar or radio etc etc.
No disrespect to those from this new system( I'm sure it's a hard couple of years) but it's because of this that the wages will fall in the future.
Too many are there just waiting for the experience without any idea of whats in store for them.No idea that a 757 PRSOV change can make grown men cry, that nappies really do get stuck in toilet dumpvalves or even worse (Vacuum toilet's)
Experience should have to gained before you do exames, this will not only eliminate the boys but will again improve the standard of engineers/technicians.
Oral exames should come back as our NAA's have no idea who they are giving all that reponsibility too.